Who Qualifies for a Medicare Wellness Visit and What to Expect
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, especially when it comes to your health. If you have Medicare Part B, you are likely eligible for an Annual Wellness Visit. Who qualifies for a Medicare Wellness Visit, and what can you expect?
To qualify for Medicare’s Annual Wellness Visit, you must meet several criteria:
- You’ve received Medicare Part B benefits for at least 1 year
- It’s been at least 12 months since your last Annual Wellness Visit
- Your Welcome to Medicare exam was at least 12 months ago
If you qualify for an Annual Wellness Visit, it’s important to note that this is not a routine physical exam, nor is it an appointment to address pre-existing conditions. The purpose of an Annual Wellness Visit is to create (or update) a preventative care plan with your doctor so that you can preemptively address and manage potential health complications in the future.
During your Annual Wellness Visit, your doctor will:
- Review your personal and family medical history
- Verify current prescriptions and over-the-counter medications that you regularly take
- Measure your height and weight to calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Take your blood pressure
- Perform a cognitive assessment for signs of dementia
- Complete a Health Risk Assessment questionnaire
- Create a short-term and long-term screening schedule for you based on age and gender
- Discuss individual risk factors for future health problems and suggest treatment options or further screenings
Medicare Annual Wellness Visits are an important tool for maintaining your current health while preventing future illness. If you are eligible for an Annual Wellness Visit, scheduling one as soon as possible is an important step to ensuring your health, both now and in the future.
The physicians at Westgate Family Physicians encourage you to schedule your Annual Wellness Visit as soon as you are eligible. Call (864) 574-0070 to make an appointment today.